Not what you're looking for?
ABOUT CAUSES DIAGNOSIS TREATMENT NEXT STEPS
What is Peyronie disease?
Peyronie disease causes hard, flat plaque to form under the skin on the tissue of the penis. The plaque often starts as an inflammation that may turn into scar tissue. It can cause pain and a sharp curve in the penis during erections.
What causes Peyronie disease?
Some researchers believe Peyronie disease develops after an injury that causes bleeding inside the penis. This could explain cases of Peyronie that develop quickly. But it does not explain why most cases develop slowly, or what causes the disease after no clear injury.
Most researchers believe that genetics or the environment may play a role.Men with certain connective tissue disorders and men who have a close family member with Peyronie disease are at greater risk. And certain health conditions such as diabetes or tobacco use may also contribute to its development.
If the disease heals in a year or so, the plaque often does not get worse. But when the disease lasts for years, the plaque often becomes a tough, fibrous tissue, and calcium deposits may form.
The plaque in Peyronie disease is not cancer.
What are the symptoms of Peyronie disease?
The following are the most common symptoms of Peyronie disease:
- Changes in the way an erection looks:
- Plaque on the top of the shaft causes the penis to bend upward when erect. This is the most common condition.
- Plaque on the side causes the penis to bend to the side of the plaque.
- Plaque on the underside causes the penis to bend downward during erection.
- Plaque on both the top and bottom, or that wraps around the penis, can cause deformity, indentation, and shortening of the penis.
- Painful erections
- Trouble with sexual penetration
Pain, bending, and emotional distress can greatly affect the man’s sex life.
The symptoms of Peyronie disease may look like other conditions or health problems. Always talk with a healthcare providerfor a diagnosis.
How is Peyronie disease diagnosed?
Your healthcare provider will review your health and sexual history. The provider will also do a physical exam, during which the plaque can often be felt. Other tests may include:
- Ultrasound of the penis. This imaging method uses high-frequency sound waves to create pictures of the inside of the penis and check blood flow.
To check how the penis looks during an erection, your provider may inject medicine into the penis to cause an erection in the clinic.
How is Peyronie disease treated?
The goal of treatment is to reduce pain and keep you sexually active. There is no cure. Education about the disease and its usual course is often included in the treatment plan. In some cases, treatment is not needed. Peyronie disease often happens in a mild form that heals on its own in 6 to 15 months. Treatment may include:
- Vitamin E. Small studies have reported improvements with vitamin E taken by mouth (oral). But larger studies have not been done to prove that this treatment works. Still, this is an easy, low cost treatment choice.
- Medicines. Many oral medicines have been tried, but none is proven to work in all men. If your healthcare provider wants to try medicine, be sure you understand what it is and what’s known about it. Also know what side effects you should watch for.
- Shots (injections) of medicines into the plaques. Injections of various medicines into the plaques have been tried in a small number of men.
- Surgery. This may be used to correct the plaque in severe cases. This includes when the man has pain during an erection. Or when he can’t keep an erection long enough to have sex. In severe cases, you may need a penile implant to straighten the penis.
Talk with your healthcare providerabout any questions or concerns you may have about this condition.
Living with Peyronie disease
Peyronie disease affects each man differently. It can be very frustrating and affect your self-confidence in sexual relationships. It is not uncommon for men with Peyronie disease to have depression or relationship problems.
You and your partner should learn as much as you can about the disease
Key points about Peyronie disease
- Peyronie disease causes hard, flat plaque to form beneath the skin on the tissue of the penis. It causes pain and a sharp curve in the penis during erections.
- Some researchers believe Peyronie disease develops after injury that causes bleeding inside the penis. But most cases develop slowly, after no clear injury.
- Peyronie disease causes changes in the way an erection looks, pain when the penis is erect, and trouble with sexual penetration.
- A physical exam (during which the plaque can often be felt) may be all that’s needed to diagnose Peyronie disease.
- The goal of treatment is to reduce pain and maintain sexual activity. In some cases, treatment is not needed. Peyronie disease often happens in a mild form that heals on its own in 6 to 15 months.
- There is no cure for Peyronie disease. A wide variety of medicines may be tried. Most are taken by mouth, but some are injected into the plaque. In severe cases, surgery may be used to remove the plaque.
Tips to help you get the most from a visit to your healthcare provider:
- Know the reason for your visit and what you want to happen.
- Before your visit, write down questions you want answered.
- Bring someone with you to help you ask questions and remember what your provider tells you.
- At the visit, write down the name of a new diagnosis, and any new medicines, treatments, or tests. Also write down any new instructions your provider gives you.
- Know why a new medicine or treatment is prescribed, and how it will help you. Also know what the side effects are.
- Ask if your condition can be treated in other ways.
- Know why a test or procedure is recommended and what the results could mean.
- Know what to expect if you do not take the medicine or have the test or procedure.
- If you have a follow-up appointment, write down the date, time, and purpose for that visit.
- Know how you can contact your provider if you have questions.
Medical Reviewer: Marc Greenstein MD
Medical Reviewer: Donna Freeborn PhD CNM FNP
Medical Reviewer: Raymond Kent Turley BSN MSN RN
© 2000-2022 The StayWell Company, LLC. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.
Not what you're looking for?
Where can I find short articles? ›
- The Browser.
- CoolTools: The Best Magazine Articles Ever.
In English there are three articles: a, an, and the. Articles are used before nouns or noun equivalents and are a type of adjective.What is article and journal? ›
An article is a written composition on a topic of interest, which forms a separate part of a book, magazine or newspaper. On the other hand, Journal is a type of magazine which contains articles and other descriptions on a particular discipline or professional activities.What makes an article good? ›
FAQs – What Makes a Good Article
It should be well-researched, organized, and structured logically, with clear arguments supported by evidence. It should use language appropriate for the target readership and contain no errors in grammar or spelling.
Tips for Finding Articles
Use online databases to find articles in journals, newspapers, and magazines (periodicals). You can search for periodical articles by the article author, title, or keyword by using databases in your subject area in Databases.
Popular Article (Magazine)
Articles are shorter and are written for the general public. General interest topics or current events are covered.
- The English teacher is absent today.
- I saw a bird sitting on the tree in front of my house.
- Not many know how to use an oven properly.
- Tom has a cat.
- We are going to buy a dress for our daughter.
- Carry an umbrella. ...
- Keren found a puppy on the road.
- I'm a good boy.
- He's a topper.
- He was really a genius guy.
- He wasn't a mad.
- She is a painter.
- She is baking a cake.
- She's preparing a speech.
- They are going to buy a bugatti.
An article is a word that is used to indicate that a noun is a noun without describing it. For example, in the sentence Nick bought a dog, the article a indicates that the word dog is a noun. Articles can also modify anything that acts as a noun, such as a pronoun or a noun phrase.What is considered an article? ›
An article or piece is a written work published in a print or electronic medium. It may be for the purpose of propagating news, research results, academic analysis, or debate.
What is title of the article? ›
The title indicates what the article is about and distinguishes it from other articles. The title may simply be the name (or a name) of the subject of the article, or, if the article topic has no name, it may be a description of the topic.What is a book of articles called? ›
Anthologies are a cross-over example. They're books that contain articles (chapters). Anthologies may be collections of articles by a single author, or collections of articles on a theme from different authors chosen by an editor.How do you start writing an article? ›
- Keep your first sentence short. ...
- Say something unusual. ...
- Don't repeat the title. ...
- Keep the introduction brief. ...
- Use the word “you” at least once. ...
- Dedicate 1-2 sentences to articulating what the article covers. ...
- Dedicate 1-2 sentences to explaining why the article is important.
There is a consensus that articles should be no more than 4,000 words; otherwise, readability suffers. The optimal length is generally thought to be around 2,000–4,000 words; about 1,000–2,000 words for an online blog. But articles of all lengths have potential benefits and drawbacks.How do you find words in an article? ›
To open the Find pane from the Edit View, press Ctrl+F, or click Home > Find.How can I get free articles? ›
Your local library
Free access is available to academic articles from most large publishers through library computers. This is a "walk-in" service, so you'll have to visit your local library in person and ask your librarian.
You can use Publisher Center tool to share your content with Google News by submitting RSS feeds, website URLs, or videos. Even if you don't set up a publication in Publisher Center, Google might find your site through our normal web crawl.What should an article be? ›
An article is a piece of writing which explicates ideas, thoughts, facts, suggestions and/or recommendations based on a particular topic.Which types of articles are the most important? ›
These are persuasive article writing and expository article writing. The most important among the types of article writings is SEO article writing. It has gained huge demand for this new generation.What are some of the article names? ›
|Article 5-11||Deals with various rights of citizenship.|
|Article 12-35||Deals with fundamental rights of Indian Citizen Abolition of untouchability and titles.|
|Articles 36-51||Deals with Directive Principles of State Policy|
Where is ___ busiest city in ___ world? ›
Our data has revealed that Mexico City, Mexico, is officially the busiest city in the world with a total score of 69.6 out of 100.What are the 6 types of articles? ›
- Research or Empirical Studies. These articles are reports of original research. ...
- Literature Reviews. ...
- Systematic Reviews. ...
- Case Studies. ...
- Book Reviews. ...
- Editorial, Commentary, or Reply. ...
The words a, an, and the are special adjectives called articles. an—used before singular count nouns beginning with a vowel (a, e, i, o, u) or vowel sound: an apple, an elephant, an issue, an orange.What are the 4 definite articles list? ›
In Spanish, you have to choose between four definite articles: el, la, los and las.What is the most common article in English? ›
The is the most commonly used word in the English language, accounting for 7% of all words used. "The" can be used with both singular and plural nouns, with nouns of any gender, and with nouns that start with any letter.
- Impact of Internet.
- Women Empowerment.
- Education and Movies.
- Value of Games in Education.
- Yoga and Mind Healing.
- Importance of Mental Health.
- Importance of Education in Society.
An article is a word that comes before a noun and describes it. The definite article 'the' names a specific noun. The indefinite articles 'a' and 'an' tell that the noun is not a specific person, place, or thing.What is an article for a sentence? ›
What are articles in sentences? Articles in sentences are nothing more than these three little words: the, a, an. They're there simply to clarify who or what you're referring to in a sentence. Using them in specific ways can change the type of articles, and what you're saying about the noun it modifies.Is the letter A an article? ›
In English, a and an are indefinite articles, which means that they don't refer to anything definite or specific.What should an article not include? ›
Articles should not have disclaimers in their text or templates found within their text. For example, if an article is about a medical condition, it should not have a disclaimer stating not to use it to help cure a medical condition.
Does an article need a title? ›
Article titles are important because they often affect the reader's first impression of an article. Having an effective and interesting title persuades readers to read your content and earns more attention for the subject of the article. Because of this, writers often take great care when choosing a title.How do you write an article in an essay? ›
- The topics of the articles should be unique and relevant.
- The article has to get attention.
- It has to be interesting.
- It has to be easy to read.
- The reader is identified.
- Find the main goal of writing an article. ...
- The title must be eye-catching, clear, and interesting.
An example would be: "Article Discussing Effects of Climate Change on Monkeys." If you must include the book or journal where the article is found in your paper, italicize it in both styles. In-text citations are also necessary when listing an article in your paper.What is an article vs book? ›
|Books are published individually. They may be re-published as new editions.||Articles all relating to one subject but written by multiple authors are published together in issues of a journal.|
Article: Much shorter than a book, an article can be as short as a paragraph or two or as long as several dozen pages. Articles can address any topic that the author decides to explore and can reflect opinion, news, research, reviews, instruction, nearly any focus.Is an article a book or journal? ›
Definitions. Journal articles are shorter than books and written about very specific topics. A journal is a collection of articles (like a magazine) that is published regularly throughout the year. Journals present the most recent research, and journal articles are written by experts, for experts.What are the contents of an article? ›
Contents of Articles
Similar to most of the written literary forms, articles contain an introduction, a body, and a conclusion. Again, we write an article for the target audience. Of course, if our article fails to appeal to the target audience, it would be of no use.
Start with something short and easy to engage with. Prove to your reader that you're providing value, then ask them to expend effort. Rule #2 for writing a good article: keep your paragraphs short and your text visually appealing. In general, shorten everything.How do you end an article? ›
- Add something new. ...
- Circle back to the beginning.
- Summarize your takeaways in a conversational way. ...
- Write about what the future could look like considering your points. ...
- Twist the knife. ...
- Include one final anecdote.
In nonfiction, the opening sentence generally points the reader to the subject under discussion directly in a matter-of-fact style. In journalism, the opening line typically sets out the scope of the article. In fiction, authors have much liberty in the way they can cast the beginning.
What comes first in an article? ›
Introduction. An introduction is a pivotal part of the article writing process. An introduction not only introduces your topic and your stance on the topic, but it also (situates/contextualizes) your argument in the broader academic field.What is the first line of an article? ›
About Ledes. The introduction to a news article is called the 'lede' and is usually in the first paragraph as in an essay. The 'lede' is a deliberate misspelling of 'lead' to prevent confusion in the days when printing was done with lead type.How many pages is 500 words? ›
How many pages is 500 words? A 500-word essay is typically between 1-3 pages in length. This will depend on the font and font size, as well as spacing.How many pages is 1,000 words? ›
Generally, a word count of 1000 words will result in around 3-4 pages when using a standard 12-point font and double-spaced.How many hours does it take to write an article? ›
Experts. If you're an absolute beginner at this, a 1000 word article should take you about 3 to 4 hours. A 2000 word article should take you about 6 to 8 hours. The reason it takes so long is because you're not experienced with writing consistently.What is a short article called? ›
profile. noun. a short article or programme about someone.What are short research articles called? ›
Letters or short reports (sometimes known as brief communications or rapid communications) are brief reports of data from original research. Editors publish these reports where they believe the data will be interesting to many researchers and could stimulate further research in the field.How do I find short articles on Google Scholar? ›
- click "Since Year" to show only recently published papers, sorted by relevance;
- click "Sort by date" to show just the new additions, sorted by date;
- click the envelope icon to have new results periodically delivered by email.
Clips — articles that have been cut out of the newspaper, short for clippings. Classified Advertising — Advertising space usually purchased in small amounts by the public and published, by categories, in its own section of the newspaper.How long is a small article? ›
There is a consensus that articles should be no more than 4,000 words; otherwise, readability suffers. The optimal length is generally thought to be around 2,000–4,000 words; about 1,000–2,000 words for an online blog.
How long is a short article? ›
Short articles are usually between 500 and 700 words long and usually focus on only one subject or point. They are written in an engaging style to keep the reader's attention. Unlike long articles, short articles should be simple in both content and language.What are articles with examples? ›
An article is a word that is used to indicate that a noun is a noun without describing it. For example, in the sentence Nick bought a dog, the article a indicates that the word dog is a noun. Articles can also modify anything that acts as a noun, such as a pronoun or a noun phrase.What are article types? ›
Although it may appear there are a large number of types of articles published due to the wide variety of names they are published under, most articles published are one of the following types; Original Research, Review Articles, Short reports or Letters, Case Studies, Methodologies.What are the different types of article writing? ›
Depending on its purpose, an article will most likely fit into one of four types: expository, persuasive, narrative, or descriptive. The type of article you are writing will also dictate your style and tone.How to write research paper? ›
- Choose a topic.
- Read and keep records.
- Form a thesis.
- Create a mind map or outline.
- Read again.
- Rethink your thesis.
- Draft the body.
Look to left of the title, and if you find a referee shirt icon, that means that the journal is peer-reviewed or refereed. 5. The publisher's website for the journal should indicate whether articles go through a peer review process. Find the instructions for authors page for this information.How do I find a scientific article? ›
- Cochrane Library.
- Google Scholar.
- Ovid EmCare.
Both radio and television are major sources for broadcast journalism today, even with rapidly expanding technology. Television still focuses on covering major events, but radio broadcasts focus more on analyzing stories rather than reporting breaking news.What is the purpose of a hard news article? ›
'Hard' news is typically used to refer to topics that are usually timely, important and consequential, such as politics, international affairs and business news. Conversely, soft news topics include entertainment, celebrity, and lifestyle news.What is a type of newspaper with small pages and not much serious news? ›
tabloid. a newspaper with fairly small pages mostly containing stories about famous people and not much serious news.